MPVS: Serving the Community Since 1955
The mission of Monterey Peninsula Volunteer Services is to provide financial assistance to non-profit groups on the monterey Peninsula by operating a non-profit benefit shop, run entirely by volunteers who donate their time, talent, and energy to help others.
The Monterey Peninsula Volunteer Services organization originated in 1942 as part of the American Women’s Volunteer Services created to help in community efforts during World War II.
In 1949, when war efforts eased up, members sought means to finance peace projects, so a resale store was opened at 707 Del Monte in Seaside. Proceeds were used to distribute food and clothing to war-torn countries throughout the world and to help finance the International Scholarship Fund. By 1952, the group directed their funds to the Monterey Peninsula, with early donations to Visiting Nurse Association and Family Services.
When the Monterey Branch of the American Volunteers Services withdrew from the national organization in 1955, Members dispersed all funds to welfare agencies on the Monterey Peninsula and then incorporated into what is now Monterey Peninsula Volunteer Services, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the well-being and improvement of the Greater Monterey Peninsula extending from Marina to Big Sur.
Throughout the years, donations and sales have fluctuated depending on the economy, but our commitment to supporting our community has remained constant and grants given to other non-profit organizations continue. Thanks to the dedication of its members, past and present, MPVS now gives approximately $75,000 annually through grants and gifts. Since becoming an independent organization, more than $3.7 million has been given to deserving organizations, with special emphasis on education and cultural-improvement programs and organizations serving children, women, seniors, people with special needs, and the hungry.
Due to a rise in COVID-19 cases, the MPVS Benefit Shop
is temporarily closed until further notice.